When I’m running I think about running, occasionally daydreaming about racing REALLY REALLY fast, and then the temporary surge of energy fades and I’m left with my average-paced-self.
With that said, this year just might be the year for extremes… starting with my longest, SLOWEST run in the “spring” (15 degrees at the starting line, in April) followed by a goal of my shortest, FASTEST race of the year late summer, a trail 5K. I’ve run the WHS annual alumni cross country race a few times, and this year I aim to run it faster than ever before (for me anyway, not those speedy high schoolers).
There are a few other races under consideration for 2016…
- May 1 – Stigma Breakers Trail Races 5K (registered!)
- June 4 – Mile in My Shoes 5K or 10K (not sure which distance, yet)
- July 2 – Afton 25K or 50K (a maybe on the 50K; the 25K was a blast a few years ago)
- Aug 12/13 – Powderhorn 24 or Aug 14 – YWCA Women’s Triathlon (done both, different years… time for both in the same year?)
- Aug 20 – Mendota Bottoms Trail Run 10 mi or 5K (another Mountain Goat Running local race)
- Aug 27 – WHS Cross Country Alumni Race 5K (absolutely!)
- Aug 31/Sep 14/Sep 28/Oct 12 – Salomon Autumn Trail Series (can’t wait! will I train hard & smart enough to move up 2nd female in my age group & 4th overall female?)
- Sep 18 – Discover Whitewater Series 1/2 Marathon (been thinking about this race since it started in 2013 since it starts my ol’ high school & goes through my parents’ neighborhood)
- Sep 23/24 – Ragnar Trail Northwoods (a giant maybe due to logistics… cost, vacation, teammates… but it sure does sound awesome)
- Sep 24 – Surly Trail Loppet 1/2 Marathon (had my eye on this race for the past few years & far fewer logistics than the Ragnar Trail run)
- Sep 25 – Women Run the Cities 5K (1st race Jen & I ran after we got married, the day after in fact with Team Owl Jam!)
- Oct 9 – TC 10-Mile (if the lottery allows of course)
- Sep 14 – Night Light 1/2 Marathon (already know I can run at night!)
- Oct 22 – Surf the Murph 50 mile (the biggest maybe of them all)
- Nov 24 – A ‘turkey trot’ in Mpls or Wisconsin (TBD!)
It’s a good thing I fund my hobby with some extra part time work.